Saturday, May 14, 2005

Carriage rack removal

At some point in this lathe's life, the carriage was probably run into a stop or the headstock while the powerfeed was engaged. This caused a few of the teeth on the rack for the carriage to get sheared off.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I wanted to remove the rack so that I could clean it up better and also scrape the paint off the lathe bed in that spot, and also hopefully repair those two teeth. It's held on by three screws and two pins. The screws came out easily, but the pins didn't want to budge. I tried pounding on them from the inside of the bed with a punch and hammer, but I wasn't able to get very much of a swing on the hammer because of the width of the opening in the bed.

A pin from the outside:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

A pin from the inside:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So, I posted my query to a forum, and got several ideas. I hoped that I would just be able to drive them out, because I really wanted to reuse them, and drilling them out would have ruined them. Fortunately, with application of some pentrating oil and some heat, along with lots of pounding, I was able to get them loose:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I haven't completely figured out how I'm going to fix the teeth. If I had a shaper (which I was actually planning on bidding on at the same auction I bought this lathe at, but figured after buying this that it was enough for one day) it would be pretty straightforward. I'll start by milling out a slot where the missing teeth are (I might even mill it out three teeth wide, and replace the tooth that is just to the right of the missing ones, since it's pretty rounded over). Then I'll braze or silver solder a block of steel in that slot. Then I'll need to cut the teeth. It's in the cutting of the teeth where the shaper would help. I need to think about it some more before I start on it.