Monday, June 13, 2005

Almost ready to paint

No pictures with this post, but they wouldn't be exciting anyway. :)
I've pretty much finished scraping the paint off of the bed, the legs, and the chip pan. Now I just need to clean them up, and then I'll be ready to paint. I've seen suggestions that rubbing alcohol be used to clean the surfaces before painting. I hope to try that out soon.
I ordered paint a few weeks ago from Magnet Paints. I ordered a gallon of primer and a gallon each of Mack Blue and Battleship Grey. I plan on painting most of the machine with Battleship Grey, but then using the Mack Blue for detailed bits like controls and such. The price was pretty good, the total was about $63 for three gallons. Rustoleum at Home Depot costs around $30 a gallon, and I think the Magnet Paint is a better product. I should have plenty of paint left over, which I want to use on some of my other machines. I'm planning on rebuilding my drill/mill, and would also like to repaint it. Right now it's an awful orange color which is really thick, reminds me of Tempra paint.
My plan is to paint the legs, bed, and chip pan all together, then assemble the lathe with those pieces. It's the minimum that can be assembled, and it will give me a structure to place the other pieces onto as I work on the rest. That should make the project take up less space in the garage, too.