Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Finished the carriage

I finished painting the carriage, and set it on the bed to see how it looks. I think it's neat:
Image hosting by Photobucket

I didn't paint all of the carriage, just the parts that weren't machined. I'll end up setting tools on the top of it, so I didn't paint those parts, since the paint would get chipped up. I've got a carriage stop that clamps onto the bed so that you can repeatedly turn to the same length, and that hits against the side of the carriage, so I didn't paint that, either. Also, there's 'OIL' words stamped in a few spots to indicate oiling points:
Image hosting by Photobucket

I thought it would be a shame to paint over those.

Next, I think I may work on the crosslide, it would be nice to have it looking more like a proper lathe with it on.
This is the crosslide:
Image hosting by Photobucket

And this is the indexable toolpost that goes on it:
Image hosting by Photobucket

I had been thinking about eventually rebuilding the crosslide to have t-slots, and then making a compound slide to go on that. But, now that I've got a horizontal milling machine, the t-slotted crosslide won't really be needed as much, so I may just go with building a compound slide for it.